A New Stage
We’re raising funds to build a modern, state-of-the-art theatre in our iconic setting in Eden Park! This new theatre will enhance the intimacy you love about the current Marx stage, all while improving accessibility and comfort. It will be a game-changer for every Playhouse patron. By bringing the facility into the 21st century, our artists will have the tools they need to create modern, engaging productions for you and our community.
Things to Know
• We’re building a new, state-of-the-art Mainstage Theatre Complex, featuring The Rouse Theatre.
• The building is currently projected to open in March 2023.
• It will replace the Marx Theatre, which is the oldest un-renovated mainstage at any major regional theatre in the country.
• Performances will continue in the Marx and Rosenthal Shelterhouse theatres throughout construction.
• The Cincinnati Park Board and the City of Cincinnati have approved final designs and signed a 99-year lease.
• “Broadway producers will be able to try out Broadway-bound shows at Playhouse before they move to New York City.” — Cincinnati Business Courier
• As the first phase of the building project, the Rosenthal Shelterhouse Theatre was renovated during the summer of 2019. Visit our blog to learn about the new seats and other updates to our historic theatre.
• The campaign goal is $49.9 million. The building will cost $46.3, and the remainder covers transition and other expenses.